https://youtu.be/cx_Htlxpc4A
This book was a great read. It ells the story of three young American friends who go off to war in the Pacific. It tells of their faith, fear, loss, love, and redemption.
There is a love story, well actually several. The love of men who see each other as brothers. The love of family. The love of a woman.
I grew up knowing of the Bataan Death March, I was a history nerd and still am. I find it strange that Americans are only now discovering the Death March. Perhaps they only teach of their victories in school?
I was fortunate enough to meet a survivor of the Burma campaign who had worked on what is now known as the Bridge over the River Kwai. He was the man who taught my father his trade. He never spoke of his time in the camps, he was a gentle, kind man who kept his demons to himself. My father only knew of his past because everyone in our hometown knew he had survived a hell on earth. His back was a mass of scars. He loathed the Japanese and died without them ever apologizing.
I also grew up knowing a survivor of the Hiroshima atomic blast. I won't go into details but she was a kind, gentle woman, who eventually died of cancer which the doctors felt was caused by her past. She was a lovely woman, kind, a pacifist, and generous. I only knew of her past because my birthday fell on the day of the bomb drop. An event that changed her life and eventually led to the end of the war in the Pacifi.
The Long March Home should be required reading in school. It's a book for everyone. The cover made me think it might be a gory war novel but no, it was a fantastic read.
Well, done, Marcus Brotherton and Tosca Lee. Well done Revell for publish this.
No comments:
Post a Comment