Sunday, June 4, 2023

The Swindler's Daughter (A book review) -- Stephenia H McGee

 https://www.bing.com/search?pglt=41&q=the+swindler%27s+daughter&cvid=f355e2e34aa540dea3e255c39a7eb4d3&aqs=edge..69i57j0j69i60j69i64.5913j0j1&FORM=ANNTA1&PC=U531&shtp=GetUrl&shid=47abfc32-d460-40d3-9c64-083ef68ffafc&shtk=VGhlIFN3aW5kbGVyJ3MgRGF1Z2h0ZXI%3D&shdk=QSBzdXJwcmlzZSBpbmhlcml0YW5jZS4gQSBjYWNoZSBvZiBmYW1pbHkgc2VjcmV0cy4gQSBjaG9pY2UgdGhhdCB3aWxsIGNoYW5nZSBoZXIgbGlmZSBmb3JldmVyLkxpbGxpYW4gRG95bGUgaGFzIGxpdmVkIGhlciBlbnRpcmUgaGlnaC1zb2NpZXTigKY%3D&shhk=KDt5gWed%2BNlXroBhW99belAtTNHulQ02X34eBeCPlbw%3D&shth=OSK.f0c80c8205cdc91ed5db9a51ff4e68f1



OK, I'm going to be totally honest.   I could not finish this book.   I tried three times to get into it.


I wanted to love it.  Beautiful cover.  Intriguing synopsis.  Woman find out she's inheriting an estate from her Father who died recently, but who she thought had died in her childhood.   Set in post Civil War Georgia, so the old South.  Good so far?  I was all in.  


And here's where it all went south for me (pardon the pun),  I wanted to shake Lillian and tell her to grow up and stop dreaming and start acting.  


Then we have Jonah (who will be the love interest in this historical romance).  Did not like him at all and let's not even start me on his Mother.


The writer lost me at Lillian supposedly being an woman of dreams and ambition who when she inherits a home finds squatters living in it and planning to remodel it into a bakery.   Get ye down to the local Sheriff's office and get them out.

Nope.   This was no Gone with the Wind type novel (what I'd been expecting) but a story that had me rolling my eyes by page 97.


In the words of another book reviewer, this was an I want to throw this book against the wall type book for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Start as you mean to go on

Feeling accomplished! I had asked spousal unit to clean out the cabinet under the kitchen sink and he agreed.  He retired in 2012 and kept p...